If you are leaving the University of Kentucky you may wish to pull any existing message from your Exchange mailbox into a Gmail account. This article provides some instructions for accomplishing this. Of course, if you don't already have one you will first need to see about Creating a Gmail Account.
- The Exchange domain for Exchange users in the UK Campus is "AD", excluding quotes.
- The Exchange domain for Exchange users in the Medical Center is "MC", excluding quotes.
If you are unsure about which domain your account belongs to, please check with your departmental support or contact UKIT Support.
Please Note: these steps will ONLY pull messages from the INBOX – no other folders in exchange.
- Log into your Gmail Account
- Click on "Settings" on the top right corner.
- Click on the second tab labeled" Accounts"
- The third section is labeled "Get mail from other accounts" – click on the link to "add another mail account"
- A new window should open.
- Type in the email address of the other email account and click on "Next Step"
- Type in the appropriate username, password, pop server.
Settings for exchange:
- For username: type in your domain (ad or mc); followed by the forward slash / (yes – it is the wrong one); then followed by your username.
- For POP Server: type exchange.uky.edu
- Port should be changed to 995
- You must check the box labeled "Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail."
- The other check-boxes are personal preference – what the end user feels is best for them.
- When the mail settings are done – click on "Add Account"
- The following screen will prompt you if you want to be able to send email on behalf of the other account. Make appropriate selection, and then select "Next Step"
- Verify your name is typed in as you wish, and when ready select "Next Step"
- If you selected the option to send email as the other account – you will have to verify the account. Click on "Send Verification. If you have changed your mind and do not wish to send email as the other account, click on Cancel. An email will be sent to the other account and you will have to either copy the code and enter it, or click on the link in the email.
At this time – gmail will begin to pull messages from the exchange inbox only.
For More Assistance
Please contact the IT Support if you have any questions or problems while following these instructions. Our contact information and availability are available on the Main Wiki Page. Published By
University of Kentucky Information Technology Support
© 2008 University of Kentucky. This document is maintained by the University of Kentucky Information Technology department for the students, faculty and staff of the University. All rights reserved. Duplication of this document is permitted to the aforementioned audience.An Equal Opportunity University